How To Change Code On Keypad Door Lock
Keypad locks are designed with an access code that can be entered on the keypad in order to open and lock the door. But do you know how to change code on keypad door lock?
Many of these locks allow you to create multiple access codes-and we’re wondering if they can be changed/removed afterward. This post will show you how to do this properly!
Is It Possible To Change The Code On A Keypad Door Lock?
In a nutshell, yes. Yale, Schlage, and Kwikset are among the most popular keypad door locks that allow users to create and change access codes via the keypad and/or a mobile app.
The lock’s programming code must first be entered in order to gain administrative access before you can perform this action. Most smart locks come with a default 4- to 6-digit code that you should change after installation.
In that case, if you’re interested in learning how to change your door lock access codes and how to make them burglar-proof, keep reading.
How To Change Code On Keypad Door Lock?In this section, we’ll explain how to change the entry codes on your keypad/electronic door locks – using Yale, Schlage, and Kwikset locks. I’ll begin with Schlage locks.
How To Change Code On Schlage Keypad Door Lock?
- The first step is to enter your 6-digit programming code via the keypad.
- The second step is to simultaneously press the number 2 keypad key and the Schlage button at the same time. Schlage’s button is located just above the number pad at the top of the keypad.
- The Schlage button will flash three times and beep upon completing Step 2. Type in the code you want to change/remove. Once the command is received, the Schlage button beeps and flashes three times.
- Finally, re-enter the code to confirm the removal. Upon successful removal of the code, the Schlage button will beep for an extended period before flashing green.
It is possible to create another code to replace the deleted ones.
For temporary disablement of all user codes, follow these steps:
- Press the Schlage button and key 4 to enter your 6-digit programming code. This will temporarily disable all user codes.
- Schlage button + key 4 can be used to reactivate the codes.
- Additionally, all user codes can be deleted simultaneously by pressing the Schlage button and key 6 on the lock’s keypad.
How To Change Code On Kwikset Smart Lock?
- The first step is to press the program button on your lock’s keypad. The check mark will beep and flash five times.
- The second step is to check the box.
- Enter your master code and press the lock button.
- Add the code you want to delete again, and press the lock button a fourth time.
- Re-enter the code you want to remove by pressing the lock button again.
- The final step is to press the lock button for the last time and wait for the programming to complete.
A beep will be heard if the check mark is illuminated. The X pattern will generate three flashes and beeps otherwise. Repeat the process and ensure that you have entered the correct master code.
Make sure the deleted code does not unlock the door if you are successful.
How To Change Code On Yale Smart Lock?
- First, make sure the keyboard is active-you can do this by touching it with your palm.
- Click the hash button after entering your master code.
- The third step is to press the number 2 button and the hash button simultaneously.
- Now press the number three button and hash.
- Choose a user code slot from 1 to 20. That’s the one to be removed.
- To complete the process, press the hash button.
When Should I Change the Codes on My Keypad Locks?
To strengthen security, you should change your codes on a regular basis, say every month. However, if any of the following occur, change your codes immediately:
1. Codes Shared With Contractors
There’s no harm in giving contractors access to your home when they are working on it. Just make sure you change the codes once the work is done.
It may not directly affect the security of your home, but who knows? When the contract is complete, make sure to change your codes to block all loopholes.
2. Purchased A New Home
If you move into a new home, one thing you should do is inspect the doors and locks.
It is important that the locks, doors, and windows are in good condition for security reasons. In addition, if you have smart locks installed in your new home, changing the existing user codes is a great way to strengthen security.
Make sure the keys are complete if your smart lock also has a keyhole. Otherwise, you should change the spares to prevent unauthorized access.
3. An End To A Relationship
Irrespective of how you ended your relationship, you should make sure you leave no room for unauthorized entry. You should change or delete the user codes initially assigned to your ex-girlfriend or ex-boyfriend.
The same applies to any former friend who had access to your home through your locks or user codes.
All in all, always reassign codes to those who are leaving and change them back when they return.
4. Notifications Of Security Breaches
If you have a home security system such as Ring Alarm or SimpliSafe, you will be alerted when someone tries to unlock your doors, and you may see the codes the thief used.
Likewise, some smart locks with built-in alarms will alert you if an unauthorized entry occurs, such as when the wrong code is used.
Immediately change your user codes if you notice the thief attempted to guess them.
Most keypad door locks use a keypad or a mobile app to allow users to create and change access codes. Yale, Schlage, and Kwikset are among the most popular brands.
In order to perform this action, you must first enter the lock’s programming code. You should change the default code that comes with most smart locks after installation.